Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Do You Care Or Do You Just Want The Recognition????

I have noticed something quite peculiar over the past year or so and I thought I would share it while it is fresh in my brain. As the title of my blog states, I am originally from North Carolina and I moved to Florida in 2010. Technically, I am originally from Virginia, as that is where I was born. But my family moved to NC when I was 2 or 3, and it has been home to me ever since. 

I have a plethora of family & friends. I have always been a social person and love interacting with people. And I LOVE a good party. Anyone that knows me well, knows this. But after I moved to Florida, many of my "friends" only seemed to contact me once I came to visit NC. Of course, there were the sporadic phone calls and Facebook messages. And I will be the FIRST to admit that I absolutely HATE talking on the phone. So IF I call you, you damn well better answer the phone unless you're dead because I just don't call anyone unless your name is "mama". I also know that people are extremely busy and have their own lives. One of my friends that I have known forever, for example, is a hairstylist. She is also juggling a crazy busy job with being a semi-new mom. I mention her (and she knows who she is) because I do NOT want her thinking I am speaking negatively of her. And I know she will read this later. ;-) We keep in touch mostly through Facebook and that is fine. 

But what about a shitload of other friends? The ones that I specifically tell them, "I'm gonna be in NC from this date to this date" and they say, "Okay, I will be there...when is the party?". Ummmm.....no party. And then I never see them. Over time I just quit telling people that I will be in NC...except for the people that I KNOW want to see me. Sure, I still post things on Facebook that are definitive signs I am in NC. Also, I do not drive. So, it's not like I can visit them. If they want to see me, they know where Mom lives. Maybe that's harsh. But I have learned who my friends are through my move to Florida. If you can't go out of your way to keep in touch with me, than I will most definitely reciprocate that with you. 

I thought of all of this today because of my Granny that is still in the rehab facility regaining strength to be able to walk again. I was home recently for 11 days. In that time, I saw countless people visit her that have not seen her in weeks, months or years. YEARS! My Granny has lived in the same house for more than 70 years. It's not like these people didn't know where she lived. Most of them are family, for the record. And I'm not talking about the people that live in other states. I'm referring to the ones that live in her own neighborhood. What is it with us that we only take the initiative when people are sick....or dead? Of course, Granny probably doesn't think this way. She's too good of a person to feel this way about others. She's just grateful for the visits. 

Maybe I should learn from her. I just don't know. Personally, I would love for her to tell these people to fuck off! But, that will probably NEVER happen!!! LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment