Friday, September 27, 2013

Bad Things Happen To Good People

“Bad things can happen, and often do--but they only take up a few pages of your story; and anyone can survive a few pages.” 
― James A. OwenThe Barbizon Diaries: A Meditation on Will, Purpose, and the Value Of Stories


I have been thinking about this one a lot lately. Why DO bad things happen to good people? I guess the reverse could be asked of bad people. But I'm not in a position to judge how bad someone is or whether or not they deserve good things to occur in their lives. I only want to know why seemingly good, innocent people suffer and have bad things happen to them. 

I have several friends (or their relatives) that are going through pretty severe medical issues. Or financial downfalls. Why?? Do they deserve it? Christians say that it is God's way of testing their faith. Or God knows you can handle it. Or God doesn't give you anything that you cannot handle. The Bible says there are no good people....that we are all tainted and affected by sin. Maybe that is true for some people. We all doubt ourselves and our religion or deity of choice sometimes. That, in and of itself, shows we are tainted. And if we ALL are tainted and affected by sin, why is that bad things don't happen to everyone???

I find it hard to believe that the people that I have surrounded myself with are tainted though. They ARE good people. They don't deserve the things that are happening to them!! If they sinned long ago and have changed their ways, why must they suffer for it now?

What about the babies that are born with disabilities, or develop cancer...or are abused. Why do they deserve it? They have yet to become tainted or sinners. They don't even know what it means to be good or bad yet. They are just little beautiful babies that have never done anything wrong. They are the most pure beings possible, just depending on us to take care of them. 

I'm not even sure how to close this entry out. I don't have any answers to my questions. I only have more questions. So, I guess that is how I will leave this....unanswered and full of questions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment