Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Ariel Castro

So, the BIG news today is that Ariel Castro was found hanging in his jail cell of an apparent suicide. If you have been under a rock for the past several months and don't know who he is, please take a moment to catch up here. 

Initially when I heard of Castro's death, I was happy. I thought, "Good! You deserve to die!" Then I began to feel ashamed of my reaction. Yes, he was a horrible, horrible man. But, I'm almost certain that he wasn't born that way. At some point in his life...maybe even as far back as childhood, I'm sure he had the potential to do good in his life. After all, don't all of us? Then, somewhere along the way he allowed evil to come in. Maybe, it was during the time that he himself was abused. Still, that is no excuse. How many of us have been sexually and/or physically abused? We never held 3 women captive for a decade while abusing them, though. 

I know that once his victims were found, most of his family and all of his friends turned their backs on him. And I completely understand that. But a man died last night...albeit by his own hands. But a mother lost her son....children lost their father....siblings lost their brother. And no matter how much they try to estrange themselves from him, they will never be able to escape that fact. No matter how much they say his death doesn't affect them, it does...and it will. I just can't be happy about that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment