Saturday, November 16, 2013

News Around The World

I read 2 articles late last night/early this morning that really pissed me off. I couldn't get them off my mind. So I thought I'd blog about them. 

The first article is about a couple in Ohio that adopted an infant boy 9 years ago...and promptly returned him this past October to child services. That's right, folks. They kept this precious little boy for NINE years....then decided to discard him like an UNO card because he had become too difficult to care for. It seems he has been exhibiting aggressive behavior as of late, and HE refused help. I'm sorry, HE refused help? When did we start giving 9 year old children the option of whether or not they want help for their bad behavior? These parents, in my opinion, are just looking for an easy way out. Once you have a child, whether it's biologically or through adoption, that is YOUR child! You don't get to toss them aside on a whim because they are "difficult". When things get rough, you seek help. You don't just give up! Now, this child, a ward of the state of Ohio, is scared and lonely...and probably wondering what happened. Now a prosecutor is seeking to press charges against the "parents" on charges of reckless abandonment of a child. I hope he succeeds. They need to know that you cant just throw away a child without consequences. You can read the article here.

The second article found here, is about a young elk buck that was euthanized this past Friday. Why? Because the "elk had lost its fear of humans after being fed by visitors. The animal had demonstrated dangerous behavior that could result in human injury or death." Here's the video that exhibited the elk's loss of fear in humans. Personally, I love the video. I shows a side of wildlife that many of us will never witness in our lifetime. Did the elk lose his fear of humans? Probably so. Does this put him or humans at risk of injury or death? Again, probably so. Is that the elk's fault? Hell no. So, what, we now kill innocent creatures for being TAME?! I'm gonna call bullshit on that. There were far more other things that could have been done to spare him his life and keep him safe from human interaction. Like, um.....Oh, I don't know....Right off the top of my head, I'd say, a zoo or a wildlife or nature preserve area. There are some great ones in NC, by the way...zoos and wildlife preservation areas. Again, this state, took the easy way out...Because his life doesn't matter apparently. 

When, as a society, are we going to stop taking the easy way out? 

No comments:

Post a Comment