Wednesday, January 15, 2014

There's Nothing Real About Reality Shows

I know I am in the minority here. But I truly do despise "reality" shows. I just don't think they are real at all. They always put families or contestants (depending on the show) in UNreal or scripted situations to see how it plays out. If the situation is scripted or NOT real, how is that "reality? Often times the cast are encouraged to act a certain way or they are flat out TOLD what to say. Whose reality is that? 

The very first reality show began in 1992...on of all networks, MTV. Real World focuses on the lives of young adults (often college students) that are complete strangers and who audition to live together in a large house (in a different city each season) for several months where their interpersonal relationships are recorded. In the beginning, I actually watched (and liked) this show because the ages of the housemates was so close to my own age and I could relate to some of them. I loved the fact that the show actually dealt with real issues that America's youth face every day...sex and sexuality, prejudice and discrimination, religion, abortion, illness, AIDS, death politics and substance abuse. It just started airing its 29th season in San Francisco. But, I don't watch it anymore. I sort of "outgrew" the show and to me, it's still scripted in unrealistic situations. 

But nowadays, there is "a whole nother" breed of reality shows. "Honey Boo Boo", "Duck Dynasty", reality shows about pawnshops and there are even "reality game shows" like "Survivor", "Dancing With the Stars" and "The Amazing Race", among others. 

But, again, there is nothing "real" about any of these shows. Sure the cast-members SAY that it's real. But, if you pay me enough, I will say anything you want. The genre's title of "reality" is often criticized as being inaccurate because of claims that the genre frequently includes premeditated scripting; acting; urgings from behind-the-scenes crew to create specified situations of adversity and drama; misleading editing; etc.

But, maybe that's the key? Maybe we don't WANT to see a real, true to life situation. We want to see something totally different from our own lives, so that we can feel better about ourselves. Cause, seriously, some of these families appear to be a train-wreck of under-educated rednecks. For me, I just cant deal with that. The shows and cast-mates are just too far fetched for me and I don't watch them. I don't understand how they can allow themselves and their families to be exploited on TV for money.

The shows that I DO watch seem to have a different format than the "Honey Boo Boo" types of shows. I watch "Pawn Stars" on History Channel, "Dancing With The Stars" on ABC, "Counting Cars" also on History Channel and a spin-off from "Pawn Stars", "Gigolos" on Showtime and "Push Girls" on Sundance Channel. Otherwise, I'm just gonna deal with the reality of my own life. It's going pretty good and I don't need an escape.


No comments:

Post a Comment